The OIE (World Organization for Animal Health) is an intergovernmental organization created in 1924. In 2011, the OIE totaled 178 Member Countries and Territories.
Its missions are:
- To ensure transparency in the global animal disease situation
- To collect, analyze and disseminate veterinary scientific information
- To provide expertise and encourage international solidarity in the control of animal diseases
- To safeguard world trade by publishing health standards for international trade in animals and animal products
- To improve the legal framework and resources of National Veterinary Services Organization.